Telecom , Travel and Things of Interest

Saturday, July 03, 2021

First Outstation travel with Nexon EV

I am always fascinated with the new technology vehicles and in that course got my EV - Tata Nexon recently. While there are lot of writeup on the aspects of the Car - drivability etc etc , I wanted to put some info on my experience around distance , charging infra structure and the long term aspects if EVs need to be mainstream.

When I started the vitals were showing me as 100% Battery and 198 KM range. I was starting from Malad Mumbai and planned to go to Lonavala.

The Battery and the range was going well till I started in the Ghat. In the ghat section , the battery really dropped very quickly to a tune when I was exiting Expressway at Lonavala , the vitals were 40% Battery and 68 Kms Range.

Important thing that I found the regeneration capacity when I started back from Lonavala. The drive down the ghat brought back the battery to 48% with a range of 117 Kms - I think this is great. 

When I reached Ghatkopar  the battery had dropped to 10% and the power limitation kicked in with a range showing 29 Kms. This necessitated a refuelling (recharging) and I found a charging station close by. I dropped in at the Tata Power Vikhroli Charging Station. My first impressions :

1. The location is not clearly marked and difficult to identify quickly. Need to be carefully looking for the sign - the sign is worn-out and needs repainting 

2. The Tatapower Ezcharge app is quite good and provides the basic details. Where I struggled was to identify the right connecter for the car - so that information if handy would help.

The charging was decent spent about 30 minutes for 11KW charge and it took the battery to 50%.

Overall the battery and the range might be deceptive and the inclines and traffic really plays big time on the draining of the battery ( I Presume because the car runs on first gear most of the times). You have to be carefully watching the statics and plan for recharging in case you need to go longer distance. 

Will be doing a Pune round trip and will post my experience next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home